Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Reading Effect

In economics, they have what they say is the 'lipstick effect', wherein, during the times of meltdowns, the sale of lipsticks goes up significantly. The reason is understandable — lipsticks don't cost much and have a special 'feel good' effect.

I believe books are much better — most of them cost as little as a lipstick, sometimes even lesser, and the 'feel good' effect is far more endearing. Not to forget, a book is not a consumable and gives us wisdom that may change our lives for good.

So go ahead, intuitively pick up a book from the millions available (don't bother about those funny bestseller lists) and beat the 'meltdown blues'.

That also makes publishing one of the most recession-proof professions, so better still, join it !

3 comments:

Ravikiran said...

Its ok not to know your neighbour but its a crime not to know Hugo,Gorky,Tagor and Ray...Its ok not to read school text-books but one must read- Tom Sawyer, Hucklebury Finn, Swami and Friends and Haroon and other Sea Stories...And how can we forget Anderson and Grimms Brothers fairy Tales...
Most of the time i am alone at home but never lonely, i live with books.
Go to the book-shop, i am sure you will feel good. Don't only buy a book for your book-shelf, buy it for yourself, who knows one day you may write a book.
Most of the time marks left by lipstick can put you in a trouble !!

Vijai Singh Katiyar said...

Hi Shobitji. They say better late than never. So here I am. Though, I have been reading your posts since you started this blog but did not have enough time to contribute to the debate.As our sari book goes for the production I will surely have some time to participate on your blogspace. You can look foward to find me here often.

Blogging bug has bit me as well. Let me introduce my new blog for the sari book.Here is the link

http://textiledesigninindia-indiansaris.blogspot.com/

Maxx said...

ok,How do i join the publishing industry ?
I had published books in china on my own- just to help the foreigners, one book was about the language as they hardly speak english and it was made in such a manner that it started from the airport or railstation, moved to the taxi and the hotel and the room and so on...
The other one was about the 500 wholesale markets in Guangzhou.
Now those books were considered BIBLES by those who read it.
But now i have moved to India,as my parents are both over 80 and i am from Import and Export.
I have avoided Import as invoicing is at 20% of actual value (always) and i have one rule, I cannot rob my mother, it is like raping her. So i prefer lines that are honest, I have survived for 3 years, with God's grace i will suvive more.
So, how do i go into publishing ?Guide me